On The Day 42 Years Ago Franco-Ontarian Flag First Raised
Franco Ontarian Flag University of Sudbury

Students, professors and members of the community gather together at the main entrance of the University of Sudbury on September 25, 1975 as Michel Dupuis raises the Franco-Ontarian Flag for the first time.

In honour of Franco-Ontarian Day on September 25, residents and visitors will be welcomed with green and white lights showcasing the four welcome signs into the community. The signs are located entering the city from Highway 69 South, Highway 17 East, Highway 17 West, and Highway 144 North.

This initiative is part of the 150 illuminations for the 150th event, led by planifsudbury. The event aims to have 150 residences, businesses, buildings and landmarks in the city lit up in green and white to celebrate the anniversary of the Franco-Ontarian flag and promote francophone history and culture in the community. Everyone is invited to participate in the illumination event by lighting their home, business or other in green and white. Register your participation at www.quifaitquoisudbury.ca.

The Franco-Ontarian flag was created in 1975 by Gaétan Gervais Professor Emeritus of History at Laurentian University and political science student Michel Dupuis as well as Jacqueline England who sewed the first flag, Don Obonsawin and Yves Tassé

In 1974 with the creation of the French Students’ Association at Laurentian University, a small group of students recognized the need for a symbol that would help to unite the French community in Ontario which culminated with the creation of the Franco-Ontarian Flag. In the beginning the flag was only used on special occasions until it was officially recognized as the emblem of the Franco-Ontarian community in the Franco-Ontarian Emblem Act of 2001, adopted as an official flag of our city in 2006 and now is flown proudly throughout Ontario.

The colours of the flag represent the green of of the forests and summer time while the white represents winter. The fleur-de-lis, a symbol of French heritage and the white trillium, Ontario’s emblem join together as a reminder of the long history Francophones have in Ontario.

By 1934 there were 3,914 cars and 400 commercial vehicles in the Sudbury District.
Other articles you may be interested in:

In 1929 Inco installed the first sewage treatment plant in Canada.

Advertise for as little as $100/week
contact: colin@southsidestory.ca

Contact Us
share@southsidestory.ca